Directorate of Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (DESIA)
This Directorate is led by the Director
To provide technical advice on environmental and social impacts assessment of new and existing projects.
- Oversee the process of registration, deregistration and regulation of performance of individual Environmental as well as Firms of Experts.
- Build the capacity of sector Ministries and Local Government Authorities on the environmental and social impact assessments
- Review and prepare guidelines, manuals and procedures for conducting Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) and Audits and disseminate to stakeholders.
- Supervise and coordinate screening and reviewing of project briefs, scoping reports and approves Terms of Reference for conducting ESIA and Environmental Audit (EA) studies.
- Coordinate review of ESIA/EA reports and the Technical Advisory Committee meetings to deliberate on submitted reports.
- Advice on matters related to reviews of ESIA/EA reports
- Facilitates the process of issuance of Provisional Permits for Industrial related projects
- Coordinate District Authorities, Sector Ministries and the Public participation in the ESIA review process.
- Review draft general and specific conditions for the recommended projects and advice for issuance of ESIA/EA certificate
- Maintain and monitor a database of registered and approved projects and list of certified environmental firms of experts.
- Organize public Hearing for projects
- Resolve disputes for any misconduct by EE and firms of experts and any related issues; and
- Organize EE Advisory Committee and Disciplinary Committee meetings.
Habari na Matukio